British Sign Language WeekBack to Latest News
British Sign Language Week takes place from the 13th – 19th March. There will be lots of information around the school for ways students can join in and learn more about British Sign Language (BSL), including:
- Activities for tutor groups.
- An Assembly for each year group presented by a member of the Resource Base for Deaf Students.
- Sign language videos on the digital screens round school.
- Posters around school with links to external information.
- Lower school students can join the Signing Club run by Mrs English on a Wednesday in the Resource Base. If anyone in the upper school would like to learn some sign language, if they let a member of the Resource Base know and they may be able to arrange an additional lunchtime club.
The aim of the campaign is to encourage people of all ages across the UK to take up the challenge of learning BSL for themselves and finding out more about the language and culture of the Deaf, Deaf-blind and hard of hearing British people for whom BSL is their first or preferred language.
The positive impact of BSL on thousands of Deaf and hard of hearing people are often underappreciated.
Our goal is to make everyone realise the importance of BSL, and how awareness can make a big difference.